- How to Choose a Natural Concealer
- The 10 Best Natural and Organic Concealers:
- 1. W3ll People Natural Bio Correct Multi-Action Concealer
- 2. PuroBIO Certified Organic Luminous Concealer
- 3. Luxury by Sofia Organic Under Eye Concealer Cover Cream
- 4. CONS Natural Anti-Inflammatory Concealer for Acne or Blemishes Skin
- 5. Mom’s Secret 100% Natural Concealer
- 6. EVXO Due Concealer/Highlighter Pencil
- 7. Natural Concealer Cream by Bella Mari
- 8. Au Naturale Organic Concealer
- 9. RMS Beaty “Un” Cover-Up Concealer
- 10. Pacifica Beauty Blemish Banish Concealers
- What to look for when buying a natural and organic concealer
Concealer is a cosmetic product that is usually used to cover dark under-eye circles, age spots, and other blemishes on the face. Concealer is similar to foundation but is thicker and offers better coverage. Unlike foundation, concealer is only used in small areas rather than over the entire face. Concealer can be used together with foundation for the areas that need more coverage, or it can be used by itself for an everyday natural makeup look.
Concealer comes in a variety of opacities as well as types. For example, you can choose a concealer that offers light coverage, or you can choose a full coverage concealer for very dark circles/blemishes. Additionally, you may select a cream concealer, a liquid concealer, a stick concealer, a cream to powder concealer, or a pencil concealer.
Try to select a concealer shade that matches the color of your natural skin well. Concealer that is one or two shades lighter than your natural skin color usually contrasts with the dark skin underneath but blends well for a seamless look.
Some concealers are designed not to match the skin color, but to contrast and neutralize the color of a blemish or under-eye circle. For example, yellow concealers are used to cover dark circles, and green or blue concealers are used to neutralize red pimples or rosacea. Purple concealers are used to combat sallow skin tones.
Concealers have one of three purposes: concealing blemishes, color-correcting, or brightening. You may need more than one type of concealer if you wish to correct two or more of these concerns.
How to Choose a Natural Concealer
When choosing a concealer, bear in mind that you should not only choose a concealer that deals with your concerns, but also one that is safe to apply to your skin on a daily basis. Natural, organic concealers are a much healthier, safer choice than synthetic concealers packed with harsh chemicals.
Choose a natural, organic concealer by reading product reviews and checking the ratings. Each concealer discussed in this article contains a product link, where you can read what other customers think of the product. If you’re still unsure which product would suit your needs, speak to your beauty therapist about what products they would recommend for you.
The 10 Best Natural and Organic Concealers:
1. W3ll People Natural Bio Correct Multi-Action Concealer
This EWG verified non-toxic, organic concealer is designed to cover skin blemishes and imperfections. It is free from synthetic chemicals such as dimethicone, propylene glycol, and parabens. W3ll People’s concealer is also cruelty-free, gluten-free, and non-GMO. Instead, their concealer contains natural, organic ingredients such as:
- Chamomile and green tea
- Seaweed extract
- Coffee seed oil
- Pomegranate seed oil
- Algae extract
- Calendula officinalis flower extract
- Pumpkin seed oil
It has a mousse texture that blends exceptionally well and sets without forming creases. This concealer works especially well on dark eye circles. It is a light coverage concealer that provides a very natural finish. This concealer comes in six different shades: dark, fair, ivory, light, medium, and medium-dark. Select the shade that is one to two shades lighter than your natural skin tone for a seamless finish. For long wear, pair this concealer with W3ll People’s setting powder.
2. PuroBIO Certified Organic Luminous Concealer
This concealer is both organic and vegan. It has three certifications to verify that it is organic: CCPB (certification obtained for organic and eco-friendly production), NATRUE (certification for high-quality natural and organic products that adhere to strict manufacturing standards), VEGANOK (certification for being ethical). It does not contain harmful substances like mineral oil, parabens, formaldehyde, phthalates, or hydroquinone. Instead, it contains natural, organic ingredients like:
- Avocado oil
- Plant extracts
- Pumpkin seed oil
- Vitamin C
PuroBIO’s concealer is full coverage and is designed to cover very dark under-eye circles and blemishes. This concealer also works well as a lip contour tool, to create the illusion of fuller lips.
3. Luxury by Sofia Organic Under Eye Concealer Cover Cream
This concealer is designed to cover dark circles, brown spots, imperfections, and blemishes. It is made with 100% organic ingredients, and is gluten-free, paraben-free, plant-based, and contains no GMO ingredients. So, what does it contain? It is packed with organic ingredients that are good for your skin like:
- Organic coconut oil – rich in free-radical fighting antioxidants, conditions the skin
- Organic cocoa butter – contains free-radicals that combat aging, increases cell repair
- Vitamin E – assists in repairing skin, soothes sunburn
- Organic jojoba oil – easily absorbed, moisturizes skin, anti-inflammatory properties
- Organic shea butter – assists with moisture retention, prevents dry flaky skin
- Organic rosemary extract – protects skin from sun and free radical damage
Luxury by Sofia’s concealer comes in three shades and is full coverage. Although this concealer is full coverage, it is a lightweight formula that does not feel cakey. It is also sweat and water-resistant. This ensures that your concealer will stay in place all day, even if you decide to hit the gym. The satisfaction guarantee makes us even more eager to try this product!
4. CONS Natural Anti-Inflammatory Concealer for Acne or Blemishes Skin
This full-coverage, opaque finish concealer is perfect for acne-prone skin. It is vegan and cruelty-free. Additionally, it contains 49% organic ingredients, including anti-inflammatory ingredients, such as salicylic acid and thyme oil. Ingredients include:
- Safflower seed oil – soothes dry skin and reduces inflammation
- Jojoba seed oil – allows for easy spreading and blending
- Thyme oil – reduces inflammation and redness
- Candelilla wax – does not block pores
The only downside is that this product only comes in one shade: fair beige. But expect a darker beige shade soon! While this means that this concealer will not suit everyone’s skin shade, the brand does offer a money-back guarantee if the shade is not the right color for you.
5. Mom’s Secret 100% Natural Concealer
This medium coverage concealer has a natural finish and comes in 11 different shades! There is really something for everyone. It is organic, vegan, gluten-free, cruelty-free and 100% natural. It’s also free from artificial preservatives, fragrances, and colors. It contains certified organic ingredients:
- Castor seed oil
- Coconut oil
- Cocoa seed butter
- Vitamin E – helps heal skin
- Jojoba seed oil
This is a cream concealer that contains many hydrating oils, making it perfect for skin types that are prone to dryness. Mom’s Secret also makes foundations, which complement this concealer. They give advice on which foundation and concealer shades match well. This can be a huge help when ordering products online that you cannot test in-store!
6. EVXO Due Concealer/Highlighter Pencil
This full-coverage concealer comes in the form of a pencil and has an opaque finish. The due has two shades: very light and medium. Since there are two shades, the due can be used to both conceal and highlight. It is 95% organic, cruelty-free, gluten-free, and vegan. It is made with natural ingredients like:
- Castor oil
- Candelilla wax
- Jojoba seed oil
These concealer pencils are priced very competitively, and you get two colors for the price of one! They also travel well, as you don’t have to worry about concealer spilling everywhere like with a liquid or powder concealer.
EVXO’s concealer is formulated for sensitive skin types. Gentle natural ingredients hydrate and soothe the skin. This pencil concealer is not drying or chalky like many others, but rather has a creamy composition. EVXO also makes an organic foundation, which blends particularly well with the pencil concealer.
7. Natural Concealer Cream by Bella Mari
This concealer is one of our favorites because it is highly customizable. It comes in 24 different shades, and you can choose the packaging options. You can choose for your concealer to be packaged in a glass jar, or a BPA-free plastic container. Such a wide range of options is difficult to pass up.
Bella Mari’s concealer is high coverage and cream-based. It comes in convenient travel-sized containers that can easily be slipped in a clutch or handbag for touch-ups. It is made with organic, non-toxic ingredients and is completely chemical-free. This concealer also offers SPF 30 protection. It includes wholesome ingredients like:
- Natural mineral zinc oxide
- Wild harvested candelilla wax
- Organic sweet orange oil
- Organic olive oil
- Natural mineral talc
- Organic bergamot oil
It is most effective for covering dark under-eye circles and redness around the nose.
8. Au Naturale Organic Concealer
This crème concealer stick comes in ten different shades to suit your skin tone, although only eight of these are available on Amazon. It is both cruelty-free and vegan. Au Naturale’s concealer is also free from nasty parabens, dyes, synthetic preservatives, gluten, and toxins. This concealer is formulated by combining pure pigment with organic oils. Key organic ingredients include:
- Meadowfoam seed oil – rich in antioxidants, provides skin with nutrients
- Castor seed oil – prevents bacteria from growing
- Lavender oil – heals acne, anti-inflammatory
- Jojoba seed oil – very similar to oils produced naturally by the skin
- Candellia wax – helps retain moisture
This concealer also comes with a money-back guarantee if you are not 100% satisfied with the purchase. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!
9. RMS Beaty “Un” Cover-Up Concealer
This cream concealer doubles as a foundation. It can be buffed for a more sheer look, which is ideal if you are using it as a foundation. The containers are recycled, and there is environmentally responsible manufacturing. Organic ingredients include:
- Castor seed oil
- Cocoa seed butter
- Coconut oil
- Rosemary extract
RMS Beauty’s concealer works well for extra coverage on your T-zone. It comes in 16 different shades, to suit your skin tone. Moreover, mineral pigments allow the concealer to self-adjust to your skin tone even if you have chosen a shade that is not an exact match for your skin tone. RMS has a foundation brush that works excellently for blending this concealer, but you can also just use your fingers. The warmth from your fingers helps warm and spread the product evenly.
The natural oils in this concealer make it very moisturizing. If you are using it as a foundation, you may even find that you don’t need to apply face moisturizer! This makes it ideal for dryer skin types. If you have oil skin, be sure to use powder to set this concealer so that it lasts the whole day and gives you a matte finish.
10. Pacifica Beauty Blemish Banish Concealers
This set of concealers holds 3 cream-based correcting concealer colors in pink, green, and yellow. The pink concealer is designed to brighten dullness, the green concealer is designed to combat redness, and the yellow concealer contrasts with redness and blue undertones. Unlike most of the other concealers in this article, this concealer is designed to go underneath your foundation. The idea is to first correct undesirable coloring in your face, and then apply a layer of foundation to create a uniform, seamless finish.
This product is also 100% vegan and cruelty-free. It is free from harmful chemicals such as phthalates and parabens. It contains wholesome natural ingredients such as:
- Flower extracts
- Kaolin clay
- Coconut water
- Concentrated minerals
What to look for when buying a natural and organic concealer
Here’s a summary of what you should bear in mind when choosing a concealer:
- What are your skin concerns? Are you trying to cover dark eye circles, cover blemishes, or brighten the skin?
- What kind of coverage do you need? This will determine whether you choose a light, medium, or full coverage concealer.
- Is this a product you want to be able to keep in your handbag for touch-ups, or will you only be using it at home? This will determine what size container you should buy. It will also determine whether you buy an easy-to-apply concealer with an attached applicator or whether you choose something that needs to be applied with a separate makeup brush.
- Is it supported by a range of complementary products that it blends well with, like foundation?
- Is it within your budget? Remember that just because a product is more expensive, it’s not necessarily better.
- What do other customers think of the product? Pay special attention to what customers with a similar skin tone and type to your own think of the product.
- What ingredients is the product made up of? Are they natural, organic products that are safe to be exposing yourself to on a daily basis?
- Is there a money-back guarantee? What are the terms of the guarantee?
What does concealer actually do?
Concealer has much the same function as a foundation: to even the skin tone and cover any marks or blemishes. Concealer is more intense than foundation in consistency. It is thicker and contains more pigment than your average foundation. This is what makes it perfect for applying to particularly dark under-eye circles, red marks, or discolored scars. Concealer is designed to cover the marks that a foundation can’t.
How do I apply concealer?
You can apply concealer with a makeup brush or your finger. Some concealers come with a built-in applicator sponge or brush that you can use to dab the concealer on with. If you are using the tip of your finger to apply the concealer, be sure to wash your hands before application. Dab a small amount of concealer on the problem area and lightly blend it in using the brush or your finger. This should be done by dabbing rather than dragging or smearing the concealer. This prevents creasing and caking.
Does concealer go before or after foundation?
Concealer is generally applied after foundation. Since your foundation will cover some lighter blemishes, the concealer only needs to do the work that the foundation couldn’t. Applying foundation first allows you to see where you really need more coverage, and then you can go in with the concealer. This leaves you with a natural finish.
Does concealer always have to be used with foundation?
No! Concealer can be used on its own, for a natural, everyday look. Concealer and mascara are many people’s go-to for a quick, bare-faced look that still leaves you feeling confident.
Will using concealer to cover my acne make it worse?
Putting makeup like concealer over acne can clog the pores, which can aggravate acne. Since concealer is even thicker than foundation, you should be cautious about applying it to acne. This being said, many concealers contain ingredients that can soothe and help heal your acne.
Choose a concealer with natural, organic ingredients that is lightweight. Ingredients like vitamin E, lavender oil, and tea tree oil can help soothe and heal acne. Be sure to wash your concealer off properly at the end of the day. Using makeup remover and then washing your face with a foaming cleanser usually does the job.
While there are so many cosmetic products that make us question what we really need in our makeup kits, concealer isn’t one of them! Many people feel self-conscious about blemishes or dark under-eye circles that their foundation can’t fully cover. Bear in mind that with concealer a little bit goes a long way! Build the concealer up slowly, blending as you go, until you are satisfied with the result then step out with confidence!
This article was last updated on February 4, 2022 .