- How to Choose a Natural Hair Mask
- Top 10 Natural Organic Hair Mask Products:
- 1. Artnaturals Argan Hair Mask
- 2. Living Libations Organic Hair Mask
- 3. EcoLove Organic Hair Mask
- 4. LuxeOrganix Natural Hair Mask
- 5. Innersense Hydrating Hair Mask
- 6. Mamaearth Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Mask
- 7. Glimmer Goddess Organic Hair Mask
- 8. Mielle Organics Hair Masque
- 9. Maui Moisture Heal & Hydrate Hair Mask
- 10. SpaLife Hydrating Hair Mask
- Buying Guide
Face masks may be a part of your beauty regimen, but what about hair masks? Hair masks are sometimes called deep conditioning treatments or intensive hair conditioners. They are usually left on for longer than a conditioner, so they can really do that deep conditioning work! Around 20-30 minutes should do it.
Much like a face mask, a hair mask hydrates and nourishes. Hair masks leave your hair soft, shiny, and moisturized. This also helps prevent frizz. Most people use hair masks as a more intense form of conditioner around once every two weeks or more often in winter and drier climates.
How to Choose a Natural Hair Mask
It is important to choose a hair mask that is suited to your hair type. Some people may need something very moisturizing to help with frizz, and others may need something that combats dandruff. Ask your hairstylist to recommend a natural, organic hair mask that will work for your hair type. You can also look at product reviews from people with similar hair to your own, to see what works best for your hair type.
Be sure to check the ingredients. Natural, organic hair masks should not contain harsh synthetic chemicals like sulfates, parabens, silicones, and synthetic fragrances. Rather, they should contain natural ingredients like argan oil, coconut oil, shea butter, and oats. Natural, organic hair masks are better for both your body and the environment. Products can be absorbed through your scalp, so it is important to choose a product with ingredients that you would be comfortable putting into your body.
Top 10 Natural Organic Hair Mask Products:
1. Artnaturals Argan Hair Mask
This hair mask is our top pick because it is not only 100% natural, but also very affordable! It is free from damaging sulfates and parabens, as well as being cruelty-free, vegan, and hypoallergenic. What more could one ask for? This mask repairs dry and damaged hair and is also ideal for color-treated hair.
It gets four and a half stars on Amazon, so it is clearly a customer favorite! It is suitable for all hair types but is designed to moisturize the hair. Artnaturals’ mask is complemented by their matching shampoo and conditioner, so you can get the whole set for the best results! Their hair mask is crammed with organic ingredients like:
- Peppermint essential oil (from Greece)
- Lavender essential oil (from Bulgaria)
- Rosemary essential oil (from Morocco)
- Tea tree essential oil (from Australia)
- Frankincense and eucalyptus essential oil (from India)
- Argan oil – helps repair hair damage by moisturizing it and nourishing it with nutrients
- Marine botanicals – kelp and sea buckthorn are high in antioxidants and add luster
Artnaturals recommends that you use the mask 2-3 times every week and leave it on for 3-5 minutes. The short wear-time makes it perfect for people who are on the go and don’t have time for a hair mask that needs to be on for 20 minutes or longer. The wear-time means that you can put the mask on when you get into the shower, and just wash it off before you hop out.
2. Living Libations Organic Hair Mask
This honey myrtle mask comes at a higher price point than the previous mask, but we think it’s worth it! It is formulated specifically for dry and damaged hair and scalps. It has multiple functions, as it can be used as a daily conditioner, an overnight treatment, or a styling product. It’s also completely natural and organic, and it is cruelty-free. Living Liberation’s mask is formulated from the following key ingredients:
- Coconut oil – repairs damaged hair, promotes hydration and hair growth, rapidly enters hair
- Sorbitan olivate (olive oil) – promotes water retention
- Oatstraw herb – protects the hair against breakages
- Structured spring water – assists the hair with absorbing nutrients
- Wild harvested seaweed extract – crammed with vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids, intensifies hair thickness
Living Liberation recommends that the mask be left on for at least 15 minutes, but preferably overnight. The longer you leave the mask on, the more likely you are to see good results. The deep conditioning mask should be used around once a week or once a month, depending on how dry your hair is and what season it is. Pay special attention to the tips of your hair, as they need the most moisture.
3. EcoLove Organic Hair Mask
This is a hair mask formulated especially for dry and damaged color-treated hair. It is vegan, cruelty-free, and ecologically friendly. EcoLove places great emphasis on avoiding harmful chemicals like SLS, parabens, and petrochemicals. Each product has a minimum of 95% natural ingredients and a minimum of 30% organic ingredients.
This hair mask comes in three different varieties, so there’s something for everyone! There is a mask from the nuts collection, which is formulated for straightened and heat-damaged hair. Organic macadamia, shea, and Moroccan argan oil extracts serve this purpose. If you have normal to dry hair, then the orange collection mask is for you.
It contains carrot, pumpkin, and sweet potato organic extracts. The purple collection mask is formulated especially for people who have colored hair that struggle with dryness. Organic blueberry, grape, and lavender extract combat dryness, while also creating an inviting aroma.
4. LuxeOrganix Natural Hair Mask
LuxeOrganix was created by Christine, who saw a gap in the market and filled it! Since this hair mask was created by someone looking for organic hair products that wouldn’t lead to hair loss and other complications like synthetic products with harsh chemicals, this product really hits the nail on the head.
LuxeOrganix’s hair mask has a tropical coconut scent that customers love. It is designed for dry, curly hair but can work for all hair types. This hair mask is also multipurpose, as it can be used as a deep conditioner, de-tangler, or pre-shampoo.
Let’s take a look at the organic ingredients that it contains:
- Quinoa protein – contains 9 essential amino acids that nourish the hair follicle
- Avocado – nourishes and creates shine
- Marshmallow root extract – soothes a dry scalp and promotes detangling
- Organic virgin coconut oil – hydrates hair
- Organic fair trade shea butter – hydrates hair
5. Innersense Hydrating Hair Mask
This hair mask is at a higher price point than most of the others, especially considering the small container size. This being said, both the customer reviews and ingredient list are exceptional. The essential ingredients are:
- Shea butter – contains fatty acids that moisturize
- Tamanu – rich in antioxidants and fatty acids
- Coconut oil – moisturizes
- Flaxseed – rich in omega-3 fatty acids, provides elasticity
- Hydrolyzed quinoa – contains proteins high in amino acids, nutrients, and vitamins that help rebuild the hair’s cortex
- Sage and vanilla essential oils – provide an enveloping sensory experience
This mask is also non-toxic and cruelty-free. It does not contain harmful parabens, sulfates, or gluten. Notably, Innersense’s mask does not contain silicones, which create the illusion of moisturized hair but do not provide any moisture. All ingredients are grown organically and sustainably, without chemicals. They are also harvested ethically. This is a huge plus for the product. It is important to know not only what ingredients are in a product but also where they come from!
It only needs to be left in for 5-10 minutes, which is perfect for those who need deep moisturization but don’t have all day to wait. It is ideal for dry, damaged hair, but also works well as a weekly deep moisturizer for normal hair.
6. Mamaearth Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Mask
This hair mask is designed for dry and frizzy hair. It is both cruelty and toxin-free. This brand is also environmentally conscious and has promised to plant 1 million trees in just 5 years. Additionally, Mamaearth recycles more plastic than they use! The three hero ingredients in Mamaearth’s mask are:
- Biotin – stimulates follicle growth by increasing keratin production and protects against hair loss
- Apple cider vinegar – creates shine, balances your scalp’s pH, and combats free radical damage
- Milk protein – nourishes and thickens hair, conditions
Mamaearth’s mask does not contain any silicones, parabens, mineral oils, or dyes. The mask is formulated to seal the cuticle of each hair, which makes it shiny and prevents breakages. The biotin in the mask also helps shield against frizz.
This hair mask should be put onto wet hair, left for 10-15 minutes, and then rinsed out with warm water. This is short enough that you can apply the mask when you jump into the shower and wash it out before you get out. It should be used around twice a week, but as often as your hair needs it.
7. Glimmer Goddess Organic Hair Mask
This hair mask is even packaged to make you feel like a goddess! It has a shiny silver cap and elegant labeling. Glimmer Goddess offers a money-back guarantee if you are not entirely satisfied with the product. This goes a long way in getting us to trust the brand! This mask contains key active ingredients such as:
- Saw palmetto – blocks DHT
- Caffeine – increases hair growth and prevents hair loss
- Castor oil – increases hair thickness and length
- Clary sage – reduces dandruff
- Nettle tea – contains vitamins and minerals which stimulate hair growth
- Peppermint – increases blood circulation and oxygen supply at hair follicle
- Ginkgo biloba – reduces hair thinning and hair loss
- Argan oil – makes hair silky and reduces frizz
These ingredients protect against breakage and hair loss, as well as increasing hair growth. The mask also contains vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, and C to increase the thickness of hair and strengthen hair. All ingredients are certified as organic. The mask is free from SLS, parabens, gluten, and other harmful chemicals.
Glimmer Goddess’s mask is cruelty-free, and it’s also safe for colored hair. It should be used 2-3 times a week and left on overnight or for a minimum of 30 minutes.
8. Mielle Organics Hair Masque
This hair mask by Mielle is created for all hair types from 3A to 4C, and both low porosity and high porosity hair. This is a woman-owned brand, created especially for women. This hair mask stimulates faster and thicker hair growth, creates longer and healthier hair, and gives your hair a healthy shine. Both rosemary and mint achieve this. Other key natural ingredients include:
- Jojoba seed oil
- Eucalyptus leaf oil
- Aloe extract
- Sweet almond oil
- Basil oil
- Sage oil
- Nettle extract
Mielle also makes shampoos, conditioners, and styling products, which will complement this hair mask. The mask is loved by customers for its ability to create soft and moisturized hair, as well as for its scent. It is also priced very competitively!
9. Maui Moisture Heal & Hydrate Hair Mask
Maui Moisture is inspired by natural ingredients that are found on tropical islands. This creamy hair mask is designed to hydrate and repair damaged hair. Maui Moisture also makes other hair products, like shampoos and conditioners, which will pair well with this mask. This powerful hair mask only needs 5 minutes to work its magic! It can also be used as a leave-in treatment that helps with styling.
This mask is vegan and is not tested on animals. It is also free from silicones, parabens, mineral oil, synthetic dyes, and sulfated surfactants. It has been formulated especially for curly hair, from waves to tight curls. Active organic ingredients include:
- Shea butter
- Coconut oil
- Macadamia oil
- Aloe vera
10. SpaLife Hydrating Hair Mask
This pack of ten individually packaged hair masks is great for traveling! They are the perfect size for slipping into your suitcase or even into a gift. Some customers even use these as stocking stuffers for Christmas. These small sachets are also ideal when you want to try a new product but aren’t ready to commit to a big container of it yet. SpaLife’s mask is rich in natural ingredients such as:
- Coconut water and argan oil – moisturizes and conditions
- Shea and avocado – nourishes and strengthens
- Green tea and honey – repairs dead ends and fosters longer hair
This mask should be massaged into the hair, with special attention given to the ends. It should be left on for 15-20 minutes and then rinsed out.
Here’s a summary of what you should bear in mind when choosing a hair gel:
- What hair type has the product been designed for? Look out for indicators like “dry”, “coarse”, or “frizzy”.
- Is it supported by a range of products such as shampoos and conditioners?
- Is it within your budget? Remember that more expensive doesn’t always mean better!
- What do other customers think of the product?
- Is it vegan, cruelty-free, or certified organic? What environmental pledges have the brand taken?
- Is there a satisfaction guarantee?
What does a hair mask actually do?
Most hair masks are created as deep conditioning treatments. In a sense, they’re a more intense form of conditioner. That’s why they’re sometimes called “deep conditioning treatments”! Hair masks moisturize the hair, which helps you avoid frizz and dry, dull tresses.
I’m a busy person! Do hair masks always need to be left on for long periods of time?
No! In fact, many of the hair masks included in this article only need to be left on for 5-15 minutes. Manufacturers realize that many people are on-the-go, and don’t have hours to spend on deep conditioning treatments. Many masks are designed to be used during your shower.
How do I know if my hair needs a hair mask?
Most hair types can benefit from hair masks. If your hair is dry, dull, or frizzy, then it would definitely benefit from a hair mask. They not only provide hair with moisture but also much-needed nutrients that keep hair strong and healthy. Many customers turn to hair masks when they struggle with dandruff and dry, itchy scalps. Some hair masks are designed especially to be placed directly on the scalp to moisturize and soothe.
Should a hair mask just be applied to my hair tips?
This depends on the specific hair mask. Some hair masks are designed to be applied only to the tips, whereas others are designed for the entire length of hair or even the scalp. Pay attention to your hair. If you have oily hair, just apply the mask to the tips of your hair. If you have dry hair, then you will probably benefit from applying the mask to the entire length of your hair. If you have a dry, flaky scalp then choose a mask that you can apply to your scalp to combat this problem.
Hair masks are vital for keeping your hair strong, healthy, and frizz-free. With so many options on the market, we thought it would be helpful to provide you with a guide of our top 10 hair masks, along with why they’re our go-to choices. Choose a hair mask with natural, organic ingredients that will provide long-term nourishment for your hair.
Products like this that contain wholesome ingredients focus on the long-term health of your hair, rather than coating your hair in silicones that provide false shine and wear off. Choose a hair mask that caters to your lifestyle, budget, and hair type.
This article was last updated on February 4, 2022 .