Making your own organic lipstick at home is a lot easier than you might think. Many people mistakenly believe that the only way to get access to quality lipstick is to buy one from a cosmetic brand. The trouble with this is that cosmetic companies are not always concerned with using healthy ingredients, and they often use chemicals that are bad for your skin and your lips. You can avoid these health risks by making your own lipstick from natural substances at home.
How to Make Organic Lipstick
You will need the following ingredients:
- 1 tsp organic coconut oil or Jojoba Oil
- ¾ tsp candelilla wax or beeswax
- 1 tsp organic raw cocoa butter
- Organic beetroot powder for the color and pigment
- Essential oils of your choosing, but peppermint is the most common choice.
To make your organic lipstick, you will need to do the following:
- Put that coconut or Jojoba oil into a small glass container and heat in the microwave for about 2 seconds at a time until the contents melt completely.
- Let cool for about 20 minutes.
- Add the beetroot powder to your preference. You can never take out the powder, but you can always add more to make the shade that you have been looking for.
- Add the essential oil that you have chosen and mix well.
- Put in the fridge to harden.
There are other kinds of pigments that you can use if you do not like the color of the beetroot as much as you were hoping. Many natural substances can be used as a pigment. Just be sure that you are not picking a natural product that might irritate the skin or cause breakouts. You can check out which organic products are commonly used for pigments with a simple internet search if you are not sure that you want to use beetroot powder to make your lipstick colorful.
Consider as well that you might want to apply your lipstick over the top of a chapstick product to make sure that it goes on smoothly and keeps your lips hydrated all day long. If you have very dry lips, this is always a good rule of thumb, no matter what kind of lipstick you are using for your makeup application process.
Caring for your lips with organic lipstick is easy, and you will love how much better your lips feel when they are not exposed to drying pigments and chemicals that are common in regular lipsticks.
Making Your Own Lipstick is Easy
If you have been unhappy with the quality of the lipsticks you have been getting from the makeup store, or you want to try to make a custom shade of lipstick with organic ingredients, it is not hard to make your own lipstick products at home. Just use this base recipe for your lipstick creations and make products that will be good for your lips and will also offer beautiful pigments to match any outfit or style.
This article was last updated on May 29, 2023 .